If you’ve been keeping up with the news, there have been a lot – and by that we mean a lot – of OnePlus 5 leaks and news. We’ve received information from various sources – the teaser, the sketches of the device, and even tease from the official OnePlus Twitter account regarding the 4 color variants – yet none of them gave us a solid confirmation about the specifications of the new smartphone until today.
The Chinese manufacturers, OnePlus finally released a press statement confirming one of the most important specifications of the new smartphone – the Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 Processor. This confirmation was first made by the Qualcomm Company themselves on their Twitter account, where they tweeted:
— Qualcomm (@Qualcomm) May 24, 2017
To back up this news, CEO of OnePlus, Pete Lau also spoke out via a blog post and confirmed that the new OnePlus 5 will indeed feature the Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 processor: “One of the main areas we wanted to improve was touch latency. Our engineers tested why scrolling occasionally differed between phones. There wasn’t a lot of precedent for them to work with – no benchmarks, no industry case studies to learn from. So we used a special high-speed camera to track screen movements and measure input speeds. As a result, apps respond quickly to your touch for a seamless user experience.”
For a quick fact check, the Snapdragon 835 is the latest processor for any smartphone and that would mean OnePlus 5 will offer the best processor available in the mobile phone market right now. There have been other specifications that were leaked in the past, but most of them are unconfirmed yet by OnePlus officials. The most recent one that was confirmed by the Chinese Company through a tweet was the range of colors the smartphone will come in – Black, Grey, Red and Gradient.
Rumored OnePlus 5 Specifications & Features
- Design: In terms of the design, OnePlus 5 will be available in four colors as mentioned above. It will feature and all-metal body that will have a thickness of 7 mm, weigh about 160 grams, and will be a Dual-SIM smartphone.
- Display: The smartphone will have a 5.5-inch QHD AMOLED display (1440 x 2560 pixel resolutions)
- Processor: Confirmed just today, it will be a 2.34GHz octa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 processor. Allegedly, OnePlus 5 has installed a powerful processor to compete with the Samsung S8 that also shares identical processor specifications.
- Software: OnePlus 5 will run on Oxygen OS which is based on Android 7.1 but it might as well be upgraded to Android O since the new software is underway.
- Memory and Storage: The new smartphone will have an 8 GB RAM with an internal memory of 64 GB. The storage may be expandable up to 128 GB via a microSD card
- Camera: Like most modern smartphones of 2017, this one by OnePlus will also feature a dual camera setup at the back with a 23 MP quality. The secondary or front camera will be 16 MP.
- Battery: OnePlus 5 will pack an incredible battery life, with the battery measured at a whopping 4000mAh.
- Audio: 3.5 mm audio jack which will sit at the top of the smartphone.
- Other features: The device will offer 4G, Bluetooth and WiFi 802.11a/b/g/n and GPS connectivity.
- Price: No confirmed price has been put out but estimates have been made that the phone will cost around US $500.
OnePlus 5 is scheduled to launch in June 2017 which really is only a week away now. All of these rumors and leaked images of the new smartphone can finally be put to rest once it is officially released. Till that time comes, we can expect new information to surface every other day.